Friday, October 14, 2011

Notes on Customization of Blythe Dolls: MAKE-UP

MAKE-UP                


After sand matting faces, you may want to put color back into your doll's face.  There are a few tutorials on-line to help you do this.  


All faces sanded ... now to spray with MATTE clear, prior to make-up application

close-up of face-up BEFORE

Airbrush methodI DO NOT OWN AN AIRBRUSH painter.  I do not have any intention of becoming a professional customizer, or investing in the (costly?) equipment.  I just wanted to make a NICE FACE on each of my girls.  NOTHING too fancy …. Just a nice and NATURAL looking.  But here is what I have found:


LBE and BLYBE TYPE CLONES with HARD PLASTIC FACES: 

          EVEN though you have sand-matted their faces …. The pucci collective is correct:  IT IS HARD TO GET PASTELS (chalk) TO SHOW ANY REAL COLOR !!!  I tried and tried and TRIED …. Until I CRIED !  I was thinking, DARN I came this far, HOW COME THE COLOR WON’T STAY !!!!!?????? #%^^$@$^^$##@*&!!!  I had CHALK DUST EVERYWHERE …. But NONE OF IT was sticking to the doll !!!!  ARGH !!!  I ended up just putting my FINGER into the chalk and dust I had on paper, GROUNDING it in … then GROUNDING it into the FACE! 
I know …. I NEVER saw or read ANYONE giving THAT ADVICE …. But at this point, I did not care, I just did what ever worked!  

[ I bought two chalk sets:  One at Michael's and one at JoAnn's.  Very reasonable prices.   Just be sure they are NOT oil pastels. ]

Planning what hues for each girl, to be sure they all look DIFFERENT


 RE:  Face-ups using paint

            I did SEE a nice YOU-TUBE video on “how to suck less at face-ups”.  [ I should go find that again to give her the credit she deserves ... ] The artist was VERY good, and she was making sort of a dolfie~pullip type doll … from scratch (blank face).  Her advice was to get GOOD artist quality paints (advice I should have had at the beginning, before I started all my eye chip mania … );  and a good ‘medium’ … not water. 



TIP to save $$$:  Use disposable plastic when painting.  Normally not much paint is used/ needed, so little plastic pieces are perfect for this ... then you can just throw them away!



 
She also used MR. SUPER CLEAR, and for the life of me, I know it is reportedly the BEST, and you just have to have it, etc…… but I was NOT going to go back on ebay and spend one more DIME, and who knows?  Maybe it would not WORK on the CLONES!  So, forget it. 

I just went to Michaels Craft store and got some “KRYLON Super Clear” in matte for preserving pastel (and other) type works.  I just thought:  I WILL TRY IT on my ‘murder victim’ and see if it works.  I tried it … it was “so so” …. But STILL not as good as THE REAL BLYTHE DOLL WAS/ IS….. without spraying anything.  I also concede that the benefits of using MSC vs. another brand may ONLY be noticable "in the long run" ... but for me ...and for now ... it worked perfectly fine.  I have seen no changes, no yellowing, etc. for the past 9 months ...

Back to the video  ...   ANOTHER thing I liked about her video was:  she HAD WORDS ON THE SCREEN !  This is VERY RARE on You-Tube, but helped me tremendously …. Because I was viewing them on a computer without speakers, and I “got” everything she was teaching.  So, THANK YOU.


MAKE-UP PROGRESS ...
           
I normally don't the “stock” green and / or blue eye shadow that I have seen on factory-issue Blythe dolls … so I knew I would not only be REMOVING any existing eyeshadow, but NOT trying to duplicate it either.  I DID however, see some very interesting ideas on flickr, which I tried to … well, not exactly COPY, but emulate.  OF COURSE, when I got out my pastel chalk, and it didn’t stick….. The EYESHADOW that I did try, that eventually stuck …. looks like CRAP. 

Just a little experimenting with acrylic water-based paint to see if I could make LIPS ...

This was my attempt to put "frosted" lines on a solid color lip ... sort of an "apple" effect ....


 

            The CHEEKS look ‘so-so’ … From a distance.  Close-up … not so much.  I am thinking that it HAS TO BE the HARD PLASTIC again.   Because when I tried to put even just a TINY bit of pastel on the REAL BLYTHE ….. IT STUCK IMMEDIATELY!  So, there you have it.

Here is another tip:  When painting on faces:  Just stick to acrylic paint.  I did attempt to ADD a bit of my own lip gloss to the paint, and it sure did LOOK GOOD ... but then a flickr friend told me:  DON'T DO IT !  THE OIL IN THE LIP GLOSS WILL ERODE THE PLASTIC ... and he was right!  So, Thank You Sailorb :)



There just has to be some "secrets" that I have not found, or that I just don't "get".  I know that a layer of MSC (Mr. Super Clear) prior to make-up is supposed to give the chalk "legs" to stick to ... so I can't fully complain, as I did not use that. 

At this point, all I really wanted to do, was to GET TO MY DESIGNS already!   And so ...



* Disclaimer on ALL of my NOTES:  I am not a true customizer.  I have only done the few girls that I own, 7 Little Big Eyes, 2 Blybe, and one real Blythe.  The caliber and skill and professionalism that is so evident by the lovely flickr pictures ... well there is no comparison to my extreme amateur attempts.  HOWEVER, ALL I really wanted to do was to change them from the hideousness that I saw, into just a teeny bit more beautiful, for my own pleasure and sense of accomplishment.  I do not now, or ever, plan to offer my own skills at customization ... the reason for these blog entries is to help the few out there who would like to do just a few little steps, without spending ANOTHER huge amount on their already expensive girls.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, it's true what you said, is hard to find realistic tutorials, and is so expensive the materials, thanks you are very helpful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm completely new to the whole doll craft. Like you, I have no intention of becoming a professional
    All I want to do is play & hopefully end-up with a cute/cool doll. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences, save us some frustrations & money!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello
    Same for me. Totaly new, limited when it comes to cost but very interrested in doing things on my own. I really like this article. Thank you very much

    ReplyDelete

  4. Thank you for the info. It sounds pretty user friendly. I guess I’ll pick one up for fun. thank u.

    Bridal Makeup in Erode

    ReplyDelete