Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Swan Love Designs: Custom work for Customers

Although I am new to the etsy world, and the Blythe World ... I wasn't sure I would want to do any "custom" work ...


HOWEVER, things just seem to "happen", and the following are some 'custom' pieces I have made for a few of my customers  (I am not referring to customizing dolls ... this is just some Blythe doll fashion notes  :)



 This "ALICE IN WONDERLAND" inspired outfit:  Dress, Hat and Ceptor, were made for a very special etsy customer who loves the Alice. 




I made a special CHRISTMAS PACKAGE Gift Set for one of my friends:  Included 2 base white dresses;  Christmas Red, Green & White headbands;  Tulle bow belts; Lace Leggings;  Gold-tone buckles and Rhinestone Buckles;  1 pair of Green GLITTER Mary Jane shoes (large and flat for her LBE girl), and a pair of white bobby socks.  ALL items can be mixed and matched.



This is the YELLOW AND PINK Set I made for her also:  Included two little PASTEL MULTI-COLOR dresses; with ALL coordinating items in Pink and Yellow;  Sweater Cardigans with Rose Pins; Lace leggings; Headbands;  Even matching pink shoes and Yellow Shoes (specially made for her LBE doll which has large and flat feet); Gold-tone buckles and Rhinestone buckles;  All interchangeable.




 Customer wanted a "light brown" little sweater cardigan, with matching rose;  this one is made with a brown and pink combo yarn, in a mohair blend;  with matching Dusty Rose color pin.

 Little HATS I was planning to sell;  but when I sent this to my customer, she obviously did not like them, because I never saw them in any of her pics.  I just thought they were awesome, but apparently, I am so far out in left field, I don't know what Blythe doll owners want, unless it is an old sheet from Aunt Mildred's musty hamper, or a grey depressing color item; a hideous helmet; or something that takes 5 minutes to make, but made from angora. 

 TWO of my little Sweater Cardigans that I have on etsy, but no one wants them. 

 THIS little CHRISTMAS SNOWFLAKE DRESS I made for a customer, and she actually LIKES it, and she does feature this dress on her girls in photos. 

 Another hideous un-wanted sweater ...

 My little "TULLE BOW ~ BUCKLE DRESSES" that I thought were quite awesome, and again, NEVER seen ... but apparently, and as usual, I am wrong.  No one wanted these either.

 TULLE BOW ~ BUCKLE DRESS I made for my customer, SHE loved these so much, she ordered MORE ...


 Another HAT I made for Blythe ... A beautiful mint-green color;  with teal felt rose (those things are not cheap!), adorned with a feather .... but again, I am wrong.  No one likes these.


HAT # 3 ~ epic fail. 


I just obviously do not have the pulse of what a customer wants to buy.  Or, I do, but ... that is not me.  I LOVE color.  I LOVE whimsy.  I always figure that if I am going to SPEND MONEY ... WHY would I buy what EVERYONE on the planet is buying, AND be a cookie-cutter cut-out of everyone else!  Why???

That is why I TRY HARD, and I RESEARCH EXTENSIVELY before I make ANYTHING.  ONCE I am sure that NO ONE HAS WHAT I WANT TO PRESENT, and that I AM NOT COPYING ANYONE IN ANY WAY ... THEN I proceed.  But does that work?  Apparently not.  Maybe I SHOULD copy.  I can definitely make a 1 inch by 1 inch dress made from pure angora and sell it for $30.

No comments:

Post a Comment